For many years as an attorney, through mediation and negotiation, I have helped people and companies resolve conflict. It was only during my own divorce, when I had become the client, that I realized that a process whose sole objective was to reach a “settlement” was not what I wanted or needed. Settlement-driven mediation, which is what most divorcing couples experience, can be disappointing. It might get them to an agreement, but it may leave them with even more negative feelings toward each other. My own experience taught me how important it is for families in conflict to have the option to choose a process rooted in dialog, understanding and compassion. Those things are what Collaborative Divorce and Mediation From the Heart both offer.
I have extensive training in mediation and divorce negotiation, and I am fully trained in Collaborative Divorce. I have trained with John Kinyon and Ike Lasater, founders of Mediate Your Life, an approach to understanding and resolving conflict based on the principles of nonviolent communication. I have studied with Baruch Bush and Joseph Folger, authors of The Promise of Mediation and founders of the Transformative Model of mediation.
I am certified by the Executive Secretary of the Supreme Court of Virginia to mediate the most complex family matters. From 2014 to 2016, I served as Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the Fairfax (Virginia) Bar Association. I enjoy speaking and teaching. I offer a training called “The Power of Empathy In Conflict Resolution,” which I have shared with such groups as the American Bar Association and the Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia. Please contact me if you would like for me to speak to your group or organization.
I graduated Phi Beta Kappa from The Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and received my law degree from The University of Virginia School of Law in Charlottesville, Virginia. According to Martindale.com, the leading directory of attorneys worldwide, my professional peers rank me “at the highest level of professional excellence.” I am admitted to practice law in Virginia and the District of Columbia. I am a mediator in Virginia, DC and Maryland.
In this 30-minute conversation, Charlie will help you begin to:
- Get clear what’s going on in and beneath your conflict,
- Learn about the options you have for how to proceed from here,
- Create some breathing space while the conflict continues, and
- Regain a sense of choice over your own destiny.
Alternatively, you may arrange your free consultation by calling Charlie directly at 703-435-2799.
Why Work with Charlie?
- Extensive training and experience in mediation
- Fully trained in Collaborative Divorce
- Charlie’s non-adversarial approach helps keep your divorce out of court and you in control of your family’s future
- Chosen by peers to serve as Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the Fairfax (Virginia) Bar Association
- Graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the University of Virginia School of Law
- Highest possible peer rating (“AV-Preeminent”) for legal ability and ethics, according to Martindale-Hubbell
Attorney and mediator, Charlie Rowan, talks about how mediation and collaborative divorce can help families get through divorce peacefully,
and with care and respect, so the newly restructured family can get on with life and feel good about how they navigated this major life transition.
Charlie can help you part peacefully.